The Oneida Lake Sailing Club(OLSC) was originated by Mike Perretta
and Bernie Rymarchyk, two engineers from the Syracuse area who enjoyed
sailing and kept their boats docked at the Oneida Lake Marina. A constitution
and by-laws were created for the club during the winter of 1971-1972 and
by November, a roster of members included 31 sailboats.
Club headquarters has always been at the Oneida Lake Marina at the southeast
corner of Oneida Lake on Route 31 approximately 1/4 of a mile from the
South Bay stop light at the Route 13 intersection. Oneida Lake Marina
is where the Boathouse is located, which is built over an old canal lock
located where the "New" (1877) Oneida Lake Canal from the Erie
and Durhamville entered Oneida Lake. OLSC includes members from three
different marinas, home of the club-Oneida Lake Marina, Callahan's Marina,
and Johnnies Pier 31 Marina.
OLSC membership stands at some 70+ members today. The size of sailboats
owned by members averages 26 to 27 feet, but also includes powerboats
as well, all boaters are welcome to join the club.